[CentOS] Backup Redux

Fri Dec 9 20:59:08 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org> wrote:
> --On Friday, December 09, 2011 01:03:18 PM -0600 Les Mikesell
> <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'll be happy if I never see a tape again.
>
> Likewise.
>
> Skipping forward to the present, I'm doing normal backups in Bacula
> to virtual volumes on hard disk.  As for offsite/archival backups, using
> the bacula add-on 'vchanger' and inexpensive high density SATA disks on
> an eSATA peripheral to act as a virtual tape autoloader magazine is
> both faster and less expensive than tape.

Bacula is probably better suited to mixing online/tape or fake-tape
for offsite, but you can't keep as much online as backuppc without
help from ZFS or similar block-level dedup.   I doubt if it can match
the bandwidth efficiency of backuppc with rsync as the transport (not
sure - how does the bacula agent deal with growing files, or big files
with small changes?).

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com