[CentOS] CentOS 6, yum-updatesd

Wed Dec 14 16:58:27 UTC 2011

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Vreme: 12/14/2011 04:07 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us piše:
>> Back in the Fedora docs I found on a google, it mentions that in FC6,
>> the preferred tool for updates was the "new" yum-updatesd. Anyone know:
>> a) what theological reason upstream had to drop it altogether, and b)
>> what's the recommended replacement - is it yum-cron?
>>
>> I hand-update some servers, and of course users' workstations, but some
>> system, like home directory servers and backup servers are extremely
>> unlikely to break with an autoupdate, so this is of immediate interest.
>
> There is the whole thread on the RepoForge mailing list with so caled
> solutions:
>
> http://lists.repoforge.org/pipermail/users/2011-December/022592.html

Oy, as they say, vey.

And I worked on Spacewalk in early '09. AAARRRRGHGHGHGHHGHGHHHH!!!! It
went from .3 to .4 while I was trying to implement it, and I think it hit
.5 as I left that contract. It was a nightmare to install and configure; I
had to tune the free Oracle version to use almost all available memory (it
had a max of 1G for the free version), and on, and on.

Sounds as though I might want to roll out something like
5 1 * * * yum -y update

        mark