[CentOS] Using an MS Access database from CentOS release 5.7 (Final)

Wed Dec 14 21:57:54 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Ron Young <ronyoung at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> @Work requires me to manipulate the MS Access database (mdb) file
> located on an XP box that is an integral part of a third party
> application that is central to the business.
>
> Does anyone have experience doing so?
>
> I have used odbtp in the recent past but it is extremely difficult to
> set up on the linux box as I learned when I recently upgraded from
> CentOS 4.x to 5.x.
>
> Is there another way to get read and write access to the mdb file from
> apache/php running from the linux box?  A couple of hours of googling
> last night has resulted in finding very expensive odbc drivers for the
> linux box and nothing really foss except the odbc driver managers.

The best approach to doing this is to convert the access tables to use
a sql server instead of the native mdb.   This may or may not be
practical/easy, but access can work over ODBC with the db on
linux/postgresql (among others) where you would have a matching php
client.    Next best would be to write something to give web server
access to the data you need on the windows box, and access it remote
via http.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com