[CentOS] forcing yum to download but not install

Mon Dec 19 16:56:41 UTC 2011
Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner at gmail.com>

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Is there any way to fake a "yum update" just to get yum to force a download
> of all the files it needs, without actually installing them.
>
> I finally have a RPM cache/proxy working and I just want to populate it.
> The server I want to actually update cannot be updated until tomorrow but
> I'd like to do a fake update just to force the RPMs into my cache so they
> will all be pre-downloaded.
>
> I don't see anyway from the man page to do this.
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

Why not just mirror the CentOS repo with rsync? You can have a script rsync
nightly so updates are ready to install when you need them. Additionally
your repo will be consistent with CentOS. If you use a proxy you could have
inconsistent results depending on the cache time to live.

Ryan