[CentOS] Squid to Cache RPMs from yum (was: forcing yum ...)

Mon Dec 19 19:24:48 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The default config won't cache large files.   And yum will try to use
>> different mirrors every time.
>>

> Aha.  I thought I had it set for no file limit, but I guess using different
> mirrors is what is confounding me.
>
> So squid will cache a specific file from a specific site, I guess?  And
> even if it tries to get the exact same file elsewhere, it will re-download
> it afresh?

Yes, the default setup really goes out of its way to defeat any
standard caching proxies and make the mirrors do extra work, although
once you accumulate the copies from 5 or 6 sources everything will
work like you expect.  That used to bother me but now the mirrors seem
to be insanely fast so if your own connection is good it just doesn't
matter.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com