[CentOS] forcing yum to download but not install

Mon Dec 19 19:47:24 UTC 2011
William Hooper <whooperhsd at gmail.com>

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I've got automirror working on my CentOS 5.x machines.  I can't say
>> I'm a real expert with it, but if you post your symptoms maybe I can
>> help you troubleshoot it.
>>

> Thanks but I've already been chatting with the author who is stumped at
> this point - so I'm just going to give up.
>
> He said he has found cases where automirror does not work and so he uses
> polipo in those cases - so that is where I am off to now :-0
>
> I have it working but there is this matter of yum choosing different
> mirrors ...

That is one advantage of the way automirror worked, since it was
specific to yum it didn't mind the mirror configuration.

One way around the mirror list issue is pointed out by Guru labs
(though I admit hijacking the DNS seems heavy handed)

http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/guru-guides/YUM-automatic-local-mirror/

--
William Hooper