[CentOS] java installation failure

Tue Dec 20 15:11:53 UTC 2011

e-letter wrote:
>> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us
>>
>> I would suggest that if openjdk doesn't work, you go with Sun/Oracle's
>> java, which is the Source of All Java
>>
> Sun java was obtained. After attempt to run jedit, the following error
> occurred:
>
> jedit
> Warning: $JAVA_HOME environment variable not set! Consider setting it.
>          Attempting to locate java...

Ok, first trick: set your JAVA_HOME to the correct path. If alternatives
is in use, select the correct path there, then set JAVA_HOME.

> Found a virtual machine at: /usr/local/java/jdk/jre/bin/java...
> #
> # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000003931414da0, pid=3808, tid=140007079671568
> #
> # JRE version: 7.0_02-b13
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (22.0-b10 mixed mode
> linux-amd64 compressed oops)
> # Problematic frame:
> # C  [ld-linux-x86-64.so.2+0x14da0]

What are you running on, and what are you running, 32 java/64bit h/w, or
64/64?
<nsip> #
> # An error report file with more information is saved as:
> # /usr/local/eclipse/hs_err_pid3808.log

Did you look at that error?
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

> #   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
> # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
> # See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

*Outside* the JVM.
> #
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> Any advice how to enable "core dumping" as described in the command
> terminal output?

Unless you can read core dumps, I'm not sure how much help that would be.
Do check the error file it mentions.

         mark