[CentOS] KVM guests failed to start after 6.2 upgrade

Thu Dec 22 16:26:05 UTC 2011
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Emmett Culley wrote:

> I tore my hair out for a while after rebooting into 6.2 because none
> of the VM guests would start.  After trying lots of things, like
> down grading qemu-kvm (which fixed it when I upgraded via the CR
> repository and didn't this time), cloning a VM, and even beginning
> to create new VM to restore from backup.
>
> Luckily I discovered that there is a log for each VM and found in
> each case it failed because vmvga is not compiled into KVM.  So I
> changed them all to cirrus via virt-manager and they all work again.
>
> The host machine is all up to date and all of the guest start and
> operate as usual.

What worked for me was running "virsh edit" against each (now
shutdown) domain, removing all the <address> tags in the <devices>
section, e.g.,

   <devices>
     <disk>
       <address type='pci' .../>
     </disk>
     <interface>
       <address type='pci' .../>
     </interface>
     <memballoon>
       <address type='pci' .../>
     </memballoon>
   </devices>

All the VMs started without any issue after that, though I'll admit
have haven't tried re-starting them since the fix.