[CentOS] kernel panic/abort during boot

Sun Dec 25 03:45:37 UTC 2011
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 05:33:07PM -0700, Corey Henderson wrote:
> On 12/23/2011 5:00 PM, fred smith wrote:

<snip>

> >> Is that sound on-board? If it is disable it in BIOS, if it isn't, remove the card.
> >>
> >> See if it breaks after that.
> >
> > the Bios has only a very few options, and disabling sound isn't
> > one of them. :( since it's a laptop (netbook) it's probably not
> > possible to yank the sound hardware (which, btw, works fine on
> > Centos 6.1).
> >
> > I suppose I could try rebuilding the initial ram disk without the
> > sound module(s), though I'm not sure I know exactly the right way
> > to do that....
> >

> Add the modules to:
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>
> And re-install the kernel. The dracut util that builds the initramfs
> includes this file at install time.

at last, I've had the opportunity to pursue this. all I have to do is
blacklist the snd_hda_codec_realtek module, reboot and voila, it boots
right up. Of course, there's no sound,...  Seems odd that I don't need
to rebuild the initramfs (dracut), but I don't seem to need to do that.

Is this enough info, along with the core dump photos, to make a worthwhile
bugzilla report? if not, I'm open to ideas on how to further track it.

thanks to all!

Fred
    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996