[CentOS] Is Biarch with 6.x now dead?

Wed Dec 28 16:57:26 UTC 2011
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>

Am 28.12.2011 17:48, schrieb Les Mikesell:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Michael Lampe
> <lampe at gcsc.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Biarch is actually only needed for libraries and support packages.
>>> Running native i386 application on x86_64 does not make much sense
>>> (third-party apps are another thing).
>>
>> I also like the option to compile, run, test, debug, etc. my own
>> programs as 32 bit. That's why starting with 5.x there's not only the
>> libs, but also the devel-packages.
>>
>> Biarch is at least to me a valuable feature. Anyway it's all there, just
>> not in the ISOs it seems.
>
> Why not use a virtual machine for that and have a cleaner separation
> of the architectures?

not only architectures

compilers and devel-packages should usually be seperated from
working-computers and the compiled software packed as RPM
in a dedicated vritual machine

the only way to keep systems clean, "make install" is the best way
to make the whole setup dirty and especially for development/building
snapshots of a virtual machine are a hughe benfit