[CentOS] Is Biarch with 6.x now dead?

Wed Dec 28 18:53:13 UTC 2011
Michael Lampe <lampe at gcsc.uni-frankfurt.de>

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> There is a variable in yum.conf called multilib_policy ...
>
> The default in CentOS 5 is all ... the default in CentOS 6 is best.

Ah, ok. Part of my playing around with 6.2 ist finding all the
differences with respect to 5.x. ;)

> I can tell you that I would personally use something like mock to build
> or 32-bit items in at least a clean chroot when building/compiling 32
> bit things on a 64-bit machine.  But to each their own.

I'm somehow confused with all of you loathing biarch so much. I can
partly understand this from a packagers point of view, but as an end user?

What you get at the end if you install both 32-bit and 64-bit packages
is the 32-bit stuff in (basically) /usr/lib. Otherwise nothing changes.
So the added stuff _is_ cleanly separated from the rest of the system.

The kernel runs 32-bit and 64-bit programs anyway, gcc has '-m32' (you
cannot even get rid of this), and all you you need to compile an run
32-bit programs is the extra stuff in /usr/lib. (The include/doc/etc.
files which are in both packages _must_ be identical, that's checked.)

All the Unix systems from the old days (Irix, Solaris, AIX, ...) had
this long before Linux saw 64 bits.

I like this feature very much, I and several others are using it on 5.x
for years now, and nobody ever complained.

The only problems I ever had were with you, Dear Packagers/Rebuilders.
Sometimes you forgot the updated 32-bit package from the x64 updates
repo, an in one case they were even really clashing in an unallowed way.
Your fault again. :)

So: what's the beef?

-Michael