[CentOS] what percent of time are there unpatched exploits against default config?

Thu Dec 29 16:26:56 UTC 2011
Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>

On Thursday 29 December 2011 14:59:14 Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 29.12.2011 14:21, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
> >> so explain me why discuss to use or not to use the best
> >> currently availbale method in context of security?
> >
> > Using the ssh key can be problematic because it is too long and too
> > random to be memorized --- you have to carry it on a usb stick (or
> > whereever). This provides an additional point of failure should your
> > stick get lost or stolen. Human brain is still by far the most secure
> > information-storage device. :-)
> this is bullshit
> most people have their ssh-key on a usb-stick

And how are you going to access your servers if the stick gets broken or lost?
I guess you would have to travel back to where the server is hosted, in order
to copy/recreate the key.

I did not argue that the key is not more secure than a password. I was just
pointing out that sometimes it can be more inconvenient.

Your question was "why discuss to use or not to use the best currently
availbale method in context of security?", and my answer was "there can be a
tradeoff between security and convenience". I don't see why do you consider
this to be bullshit.

Best, :-)
Marko