[CentOS] centos 4.8 or centos 5.5 for server is great?

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Tue Feb 1 16:28:13 UTC 2011

Yang Yang wrote:
> hi,i am new guy for linux world
>
> i made a server (centos5.5  8g ram   300g*2 sas 15k  harddisc ),but
> some my friend use linux feveral years advise me use centos 4.8,he
> said it is much good than centos 5.5
>
> it is trouble me ,is it newest is good than older?
>
> please give me some advice
The later version is better in most (practically ALL) respects. You only
use the older versions if they are already in place and need to support
old legacy software that will not run on the later kernel versions. One
of the wonderful things about CentOS and Red Hat is that when these
versions are released they are normally rock solid and then the added
bonus of patch security updates for many years.