[CentOS] Lost root access

James Bensley

jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 14:44:01 UTC 2011

So on a virtual server the root password was no longer working (as in
I couldn't ssh in anymore). Only I and one other know it and neither
of us have changed it. No other account had the correct privileges to
correct this so I'm wondering, if I had mounted that vdi as a
secondary device on another VM, browsed the file system and delete
/etc/shadow would this have wiped all users passwords meaning I could
regain access again?

(This is past tense because its sorted now but I'm curious if this
would have worked? And if not, what could I have done?).

--
Regards,
James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?