[CentOS] Blasphemous? any support for a REPO of current edition BIND, et al (e.g., BZ561299)?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Feb 2 18:10:27 UTC 2011

On 02/02/2011 06:02 PM, Larry Vaden wrote:
> I was thinking more along the lines of /isc/bind9/9.7.2-P3/, released
> 2 months ago.

If you feel that its the version you need or want, CentOS wont mind if
you were to build it and run it yourself.

> Is there that much distrust of the current output of leading authors
> that we need to "wait a long while"?

absolutely. Because I dont trust the authors of component XX to be
working on every other component also released that is impacted either
upstream or downstream in an app stack. Its the reason why policy and
site testing happens.

Expand that to cover the entire component base of whats in the distro
and then see how that would fail so spectacularly. If you want a very
small taste of what it can be, I'd suggest running rawhide with nightly
yum upgrades. Then try to scale that to multiple machines working with
different app stacks.

The moment your focus shifts from delivering a service to running code,
its game over in the user world. And I do honestly feel that the
stabilisation and the expected long life of a nearly -guaranteed-
abi/api compliant model in the *EL world makes it a lot easier to retain
focus on the service delivery angle.[1]

- KB

[1]: I say that with a pinch of salt though - EL6 is a tad overdue. A
lot of new projects and services need a codebase newer than whats on
offer in C5.