[CentOS] Blasphemous? any support for a REPO of current edition BIND, et al (e.g., BZ561299)?

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Wed Feb 2 18:40:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 06:10 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> If you feel that its the version you need or want, CentOS wont mind if
>> you were to build it and run it yourself.
>>

> btw, if you were to go down that route, the CentOSPlus repo would be a
> great place to host such a package :)
>
> One of the best advantages of CentOS is that we're not tied down to the
> EL codebase in any repo outside the [os] and [updates]

Your approach is a superior approach to others advocating "roll your
own" because if for no other reason most folks' skill sets can not be
compared to those who "do this every day" vs. once a release for the
important stuff like BIND et al.

In short, not enough GOOD GDP/GNP results from "roll your own."
"Rolling your own" is "working harder, not smarter."

As far as "providing current services" e.g., I can't recall how long
it has been since I attended the first ISC meeting at NANOG to discuss
DNSSEC and yet it would surely be interesting to determine how many of
the world's DNS servers remain open to exploits solved years ago.

Along those lines, I'll let
<http://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.7.2-P3/RELEASE-NOTES-BIND-9.7.2-P3.html>
speak for itself.