[CentOS] LiveCD System recovery - Mounting LVM?

Gregory P.. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Fri Feb 4 05:21:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> I am not sure if this is your problem but what I can determine is that
> there may be a conflict with the same names of the lvm volumes; ie the old
> volume that I am trying to mount has the same name as the volume on the
> machine that is active.

Note that CentOS 6 will not. RedHat rewrote anaconda to use the
hostname in the volume groups, which is very helpful to avoid just
this situation.

> I was wondering if you were running into that problem. I've run into it in
> the past. Centos always uses the same logical group and logical volume names
> as default for a new install, and you can't mount a foreign LVM if the names
> conflict.
>
> I once set up a test system to try to recover some files from an LVM, and
> installed centos with no LVM to avoid the conflict, but centos didn't
> install the lvm tools automatically . (I like using system-config-lvm)
> However, the tools are easy enough to install with yum. Some live CDs let
> you install system-config-lvm too.
>
> You can also use unique LVM group and vol names when installing centos to
> avoid this...

Nico,

Thanks for the response.  Does this mean there is nothing I can do to
make this happen.  Is there a way to change the name of "VolGroup00"?
If so I have not found it yet.  I see that I can change "LogVol00", but
have not figured out how to chanage "VolGroup00".

Maybe, I am finally beginning to understand logical volumes. :)

Greg