[CentOS] system clock

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Sun Feb 6 21:57:04 UTC 2011

On 02/06/2011 01:35 PM, Buz Davis wrote:
> I am running CntOS 5 with Gnome.  Every  now and then I have noticed
> that the computer will somehow get the time wrong by several hours.  Is
> there a simple way to adjust the time?  So far the only way I have found
> is to boot into windows (it is a dual boot system), make the change
> there, and then get back into CentOS.

[...]

CentOS likes to store the hardware system clock in GMT time. Windows
likes to store it in the local time zone. The multi-hour switch is an
artifact of dual booting with this disparity in play. If either system
updates the hardware clock while running, the other OS will get thrown
off by several hours.

The fastest way to 'resync' the clock is using the ntpdate utiltity. It
is part of the 'ntp' package. As root run: 'yum install ntp'. You can
then reset the clock in CentOS by running 'ntpdate' as root.

--
Benjamin Franz