[CentOS] premature question on 5.6

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:01:30 UTC 2011

On 7 February 2011 15:55, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> What will be the correct way to migrate ext3 to ext4 going from 5.5 to 5.6?
> Will something after the update ask if you want to migrate the file systems?
> Looking forward to some file system speed ups with large files.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jerry

Based on experienced with other systems (ubuntu etc) a rebuild would
be teh best way if you want to move from one to the other (or a full
backup of disk then restore all the files) due to existing files on
the ext3 system not gaining the benefits from ext4 - only new files.

Personally I'm skipping such an extensive change until Centos 6 is due
and I'll need to test on that anyway - and can verify an appropriate
ext4 configuration at the some time.

James