[CentOS] How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Feb 7 18:14:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, James Pearson wrote:

> From: James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot
>      time on CentOS 5?
>
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> James Pearson wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
>>> boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under /etc/rc.d/
>>>
>>> CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
>>> equivalent in CentOS 5
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?
>>

>> Have you tried system-config-soundcard?
>
> I have, but that wasn't the question :-)
>
> Something has to load the sound kernel modules at system start up - and
> I would like to find out what does this and at what stage of the system
> start up process this happens.

Hi James.

Doesn't the kernel probe the machine's hardware at boot up
time, and if it finds your soundcard, load the appropriate
driver for it?

If the hardware is not detected by the kernel, then you
probably would have to manually load the respective hardware
driver with modprobe.

[root at karsites ~]# modprobe -l *cmi*
/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.32.1.el5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.ko

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net