[CentOS] RHEL 6 <-> CentOS 6 ?

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Mon Feb 7 21:29:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 04:04:56PM -0500, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> Hi !
>
> We are curently deploying an 8 nodes cluster where we have a RHEL 6
> license at great costs (~14 k$/y). It will be our new production
> environment for mission-critical services.
>
> Now our aging developpement server (old p4 with 1.5 gig of ram) need
> to be updated. We will be installing on hardware as close as possible
> to the new production servers, just not in a rack...
>
> For the developement server, I won't be needing the RH support (and
> price that goes with it). So I wsish to install it under CentOS. But
> 6 isn't out yet. (by the way, when ;-) ?). I do have a spare slot in
> my rhn that I can install the new server with.
>
> Will RHEL 6 be as easy to switch to CentOS 6 as were RHEL/CentOS 5 ?
> That is install a couple of rpms, yum update and voilà ?
>
> Thanks,

There are procedures to convert for RHEL5, and no doubt something
similar will work for RHEL6 as well.

Antother option is ScientificLinux 6.0, which although not out yet
either has a public rolling 6.0 release available that I recently
installed from for similar reasons as you.

I'll likely try to convert it to CentOS 6 when it's available, so we'll
see how that goes. :)

Ray