[CentOS] Configuring a cluster

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Feb 8 16:19:25 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 04:52:27 pm Johnny H wrote:
> Dear all,
> Thank you very much for your answers; am a little overwhelmed as I did
> not expect so many so fast. I will take a look at your suggestions and
> sites.
>
> The cluster is medium performance for something called bioinformatics;
> we are looking at next generation sequence data.
>
> I know it had Centos installed and was using Torque/PBS for running
> cluster jobs. This was set up by a company and we want to install
> fresh.

What you describe here is quite clearly a compute cluster, HPC, or whatever
you want to call it.

Maybe you should go have a look at a packaged solution like rocks
(www.rocksclusters.org). If you don't have much experience I'd recommend
against building something yourself. With rocks you'll also get the benefit of
prepackaged bio-informatics stuff (rocks has a large community).

/Peter