[CentOS] mount the wrong device after system recovery

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Feb 8 21:46:54 UTC 2011

> My grub.conf is pointing to sdb1 for /. I've corrected to use
> /dev/vg0/lv1. But after rebooting, I am getting the same error. I guess
> I need to rebuild initrd.img file. How do I rebuild that file?

The best way to do it *right* is to boot with a rescue system (such as
the installer CD/DVD).  You need to make sure it properly mounts the
necessary file systems, specificly /dev/vg0/lv1 as /sysroot, whatever
you are using for /boot to /sysroot/boot (/boot can't be in the LVM
volume group -- grub cannot deal with that!), then make sute /proc,
/sys, and /dev are mount --bind'd to /sysroot/proc, /sysroot/sys, and
/sysroot/dev.  Then you will chroot to /sysroot and issue a command like:

mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5.img 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5

(replace '2.6.18-194.32.1.el5' with the proper kernel version you will
be booting from -- 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 is the latest CentOS 5.5 kernel).

exit and reboot.