[CentOS] how will CentOS handle the perftools 1.7 vs. 1.6 issue?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Feb 10 10:53:09 UTC 2011

On 02/10/2011 12:37 AM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 10/02/11 02:05, Larry Vaden wrote:
>> In order to avoid a cross post, the following background quote is from
>> SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS at fnal.gov:
>>
>> <quote>
>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Ewan Mac Mahon<ewan at macmahon.me.uk>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a little bit hazy on the details, but there are some slides from the
>>> meeting here[1]:
>>>   http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?contribId=8&sessionId=1&resId=1&materialId=slides&confId=106641
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Chris Jones
>> <christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I would say a bug in tcmalloc, not SL or RHEL. See for instance
>>>
>>> <http://code.google.com/p/google-perftools/issues/detail?id=305>
>>>
>>> The fix is to move to google perftools 1.7
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> Because of a problem with not running the current BIND release a
>> couple of weeks ago, I would like to ask:
>>
>> a) is RedHat likely to choose to backport the fix to 1.6 or will it
>> adopt 1.7 or leave as is until 5.7 or later as it has done with BIND?
>>
>> b) will Centos and/or SL follow RH exactly or will their approaches differ?
>>
>> IOW, how far does the "binary compatiblity" policy extend?
>>

> Bug for bug - if the bug is in RHEL-5.6 then it will be in CentOS too.
>
> If it's important to you, file a bug upstream with Red Hat and get it
> fixed. The fix will naturally flow back downstream to CentOS.
>
> Of course CentOS does have the freedom to do things differently to Red
> Hat if they want to, but if they do generally it will be outside of the
> main base/updates) repositories.

This is correct, CentOS would add an updated package somewhere (our
people.centos.org site or the centos-testing repository would be the
likely places).

We want our release to be the same source code where ever possible ...
only changing things as required to meet trademark restrictions.

I can't speak to how SL will do it.