[CentOS] Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Fri Feb 11 17:09:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:39:21AM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> They have *everything* to do. Look, I *said* this is OT, but since you
> insist, the overwhelmingly *bad* design decision was to put the GUI into
> ring 0, instead of the way Windows 3, and X on *Nix, and *everybody* else
> did, resulting in a GUI error bringing down the *entire* system.

The only part that runs in ring 0 is the video driver.  The GUI itself
runs in userspace.

In Linux the graphics driver runs in userspace, but even that can freeze
a machine because it requires direct hardware access.  My Radeon HD
2400 PRO driver will cause an immediate lockup if I run X, then quit X,
then start X again.

So the ring-0 stuff is a bit of a red herring.

--

rgds
Stephen