[CentOS] CentOS Digest, Vol 73, Issue 12

Chuck Munro

chuckm at seafoam.net
Sat Feb 12 21:21:25 UTC 2011

On 02/12/2011 09:00 AM, Gerhard Schneider wrote:

> Sorry, I don't use CentOS 6 now so I cannot check, but:
>
> Could it be that RHEL6 changed the default superblock mdadm is creating?
> CentOS 5 is creating a 0.9 superblock. Some "other OS" are creating 1.2
> per default. But you can change that on the command line.
>
> If that's the case it's not a bug but a feature..
>
> GS
>
> -- Gerhard Schneider Institute of Lightweight Design and e-Mail:
> gs at ilsb.tuwien.ac.at Structural Biomechanics (E317) Tel.: +43 664 60 588
> 3171 Vienna University of Technology / Austria Fax: +43 1 58801 31799
> A-1040 Wien, Gusshausstrasse 27-29 http://www.ilsb.tuwien.ac.at/~gs/

Bingo!  That hadn't occurred to me.  And 1.2 is specified in the
mdadm.conf file, which went right over my head.  :-(

Thanks Gerhard; mystery solved.  Now all I need to do is wait for
CentOS-6 to see if it correctly assembles all members of the arrays at
boot time.  I suspect the evaluation copy of RHEL-6 is not really up to
date, so there may be issues with mdadm.  I did take a look around the
RedHat bugzilla site and saw a couple of things that might be related to
the problem.

Chuck