[CentOS] server specifications

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Mon Feb 14 16:31:02 UTC 2011

On 2/14/2011 10:53 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Nico-Garcia wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Rob Kampen
>> <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:

>>> Twice in the last two years my intel server mb with ECC RAM showed
>>> errors
>>> (after moving system physically) and thus I did a reseat (after
>>> cleaning) of
>>> the modules and all is now well. No data lost, complete confidence -
>>> definitely gets my vote for servers!!
>>
>> Same system? Did you burn it in (running it under serious load with
>> memory and CPU testing tools for a day or two after initial
>> installation)? And given that you opened it up, I also assume you
>> cleaned out accumulated dust and cleaned the filters.
> This system was initially commissioned after burn in, in late 2004 -
> An Intel mb. It started with RH9, then went FC3, then CentOS5.
> As mentioned the ECC memory has warned me when things are not well and
> allowed me to take remedial action before anything
> impacted my data. It still does great work six years later. For some
> reason, each time I have shifted it, we started getting these errors.
> It may be accumulated dust and dirt - so I always clean everything
> while it is down. Re-seating the RAM after cleaning the contacts and
> blowing out the dust has always worked. So for me, getting a server
> grade mb with ECC RAM is a great investment and worth the slight extra
> cost, not to mention that CentOS seems to have the drivers and modules
> in place for these mb.
I'm not going to mention that I still have one old Compaq R3000 up and
running. It is a 1998 model! It was up over 500 days at one point (when
I finally decided a new kernel really did need to go live). It has run
24/7/365(6) since 1998. Started it's life under RH5. Now is Centos 3. It
doesn't do anything really critical and is on my list to deactivate
simply due to the electricity use. Yes, server class is important. I
have since moved to Compaq/HP DL 380s as the primary systems. Again,
very much server class and worth every penny.

Also, if you don't need the latest greatest, a lot of these units come
off of corporate lease after 1 to 3 years and show up on eBay. I great
way to get one at a fantastic bargain. A unit that started it's life as
a $10K or so machine, may be under $1K in 3 years. I've had fantastic
service out of the Proliant line with the exception of the 1U units. HP
makes the Proliant line, but also makes a lot of home use cheap stuff.
Fortunately, they so far seem to be following the Compaq goals of
building tanks.

All of the 380s seem to come with RILO, or remote insight lights out...
which allows you to set up an alternate IP address into this separate
card. From there, it is just like you are on the local console with even
just a bit more control. For instance, you can power down the system and
then power it back up from your remote location. Very nice. Also,
redundant power supplies, cooling fans and on and on it goes. Yes, the
setup software is a bit odd. This programs bios and raid systems.

Anyway, it's an alternative method if you don't need hoards of
horsepower but if reliability is most important. As always, watch the
rating of any seller. I've had good luck over the years.

John