[CentOS] Journal Aborts in VMware ESX (Filesystem Corruption)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Feb 14 18:37:29 UTC 2011

On 02/14/2011 07:31 AM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 12:08 +0000, Keith Beeby wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> So the 'fix' is applied directly to the host os,
>>
>> no, to the *guest* OS instances.  [please, do not top-post].
>>
>>> is this the correct thing to do?
>>> sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes = 8192
>>
>> No space(s) I believe.
>>
>> sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=8192
>>
>> I'm still not entirely clear as to why this setting should/will make a
>> difference in maintaining filesystem integrity.
>
> It's certainly possible that the error I was receiving was a different
> reason, though similar symptoms. We started seeing filesystems go
> read-only, and only rebooting would clear it up.

I use that setting on the "Host OS" for VMWare to prevent a whole vm
from getting killed.

That setting will maintain a minimum amount of free memory available to
prevent a large program that requests memory quick from depleting all
available memory and causing the program killer from killing the highest
RAM process.

If you are on a Host OS box, the biggest Memory processes are your VMs,
and getting one killed off because memory reaches zero is not good.

I don't have any idea how it would fix journal errors on a drive, but I
guess it could.

I set it much higher than 8192 on the host machines ... I set it to 131072.