[CentOS] Creating floppy image without root permissions?

Kwan Lowe

kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 20:57:41 UTC 2011

Hello All:

   I've recently had to provision some RHEL and CentOS VMWare
instances. There was no network connectivity so I had to use a
kickstart floppy and DVD iso rather than installing from our
repository.  To create the floppy I used the following:

As root:
	dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy.flp bs=1k count=360
	mkfs.vfat floppy.flp
	mount -o loop floppy.flp /mnt/floppy
	cp base_kickstart.ks /mnt/floppy/ks.cfg
	umount /mnt/floppy

It works, but now I need to automate the process and have to do with
without root access.  Is there a way to create a floppy iso with a
single file without root access?   I looked at fuseiso, but it appears
that it still requires some root permissions.