[CentOS] Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Wed Feb 16 15:03:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> Because they also have $dayjobs too ... Oracle (with billions of dollars
> and unlimited machines and personnel) just released their el6 on Friday.
>
> Is there some reason you can't buy RHEL6?

Johnny et al,

If ya'll are masochists (as might be indicated by the turning off of
even the donation input if I understand correctly), then hit DELETE
now.  Of course, like Dennis Miller, I could be wrong about that.

You hear/read quite a few folks saying the equivalent of something
like "corporations favor subscriptions over donations.'

Give them a chance to put their money where their mouth is :)

A friend at FedEx told me yesterday they buy the $8600 licenses from
Redhat and the $10K plus licenses from VMware and feel good about it
because there is a team taking care of their security at the OS level.

While it wouldn't produce "unlimited machines and personnel," if you
could find a wordsmith/lawyer on the list or elsewhere who is willing
to pro bono wordsmith "subcribe/donate" in a fashion acceptable to the
CentOS core team, thus keeping you folks happy that you are only
getting donations rather than subscriptions, it seems like you could
at least raise enough money for a couple of the fastest machines known
to man to help with the builds.

kind regards/ldv/rural ISP/WISP