[CentOS] CentOS 5 on a Thinkpad T60 laptop

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Feb 16 20:08:05 UTC 2011

> On 02/16/2011 01:06 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On 2/16/2011 12:41 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> >>
> >> The wireless on the X31 is an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
> >> 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04).  Intel wireless chips are *very well*
> >> supported *out of the box* under CentOS.  You do need to download and
> >> install the proper firmware.
> >
> > Isn't being supported "out of the box" and having to download something
> > else a contradiction in terms?   Not to mention a catch-22 when your
> > usual connection to download is over wireless...
> >
> So tell that to Red Hat.
>
> If it ain't in RHEL, it ain't in CentOS.  Les, surely you know that by now.

Also *wireless* NICs almost always need some sort of firmware thing in
/lib/firmware (or whereever).  This is usually separate from any
driver(s) that might be needed.  Wired NICs don't need this firmware
thing.

In my case my usual connection is not wireless anyway, or at least it
is not my only option -- the laptop does have a wired NIC, which also
works *out of the box* and is also an Intel NIC (Intel Corporation
82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) (rev 03)). Oh, and it also
has USB ports, which would be another option.

(And *I* would avoid any laptop that *only* had a Wireless NIC.)