[CentOS] Software RAID Level 1, smartd and changing dev numbers

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 18 03:25:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:22:44PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:05:41PM -0500, Tom H wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> > >>
> > In Ubuntu and Fedora, UUID's the default replacement of "/dev/sdXY"
> > devices, but md and lvm devices are referred to in more "traditional"
> > fstab stanzas.
>
> Possibly worth mentioning that it does sometimes break--at least in
> Fedora, I can think of a few times it's happened to me, and a few more
> times where it's happened on their forums, where an update would then
> fail to boot, saying, unable to locate root (or something similar) which
> could be fixed by changing the UUID to /dev/sdwhatever

To reply to my own email, I should add that I don't want to spread FUD.
Most of the time UUID works as it should, and can be handy for things
such as installing from a USB, where the system thinks the USB is
/dev/sda.   I just wanted to point out that on VERY RARE occasions, it
has failed to work.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: And they say that young people don't learn
anything in high school nowadays, but I've learned to be afraid.