[CentOS] Problem with timezone configuration

John Nash

centos at nikomachus.info
Sun Feb 20 23:41:24 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have a problem configuring the timezone on a CentOS 5.5 server.
I would like the timezone to be Europe/Paris.

I have followed the steps described here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Timezone-in-Linux

I think I have changed the appropriate configuration files ( /etc/localtime, /etc/sysconfig/clock ), but the output of the ‘date’ command still indicates the timezone is EST.

[root at xxx ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
[root at s15370074 ~]# ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Feb 19 18:31 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris
[root at xxx ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
ZONE="Europe/Paris"
UTC=true
ARC=false
[root at xxx ~]# echo $TZ

[root at xxx ~]#
[root at xxx ~]# date
Sun Feb 20 18:01:28 EST 2011
[root at xxx ~]# rdate -s time.mit.edu
[root at xxx ~]# hwclock –systohc
[root at xxx ~]# date
Sun Feb 20 18:03:34 EST 2011

Note that I have even completely rebooted the server, with no effect.

Am I missing something important ?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions !