[CentOS] security cameras

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Feb 23 18:16:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, ken wrote:

> From: ken <gebser at mousecar.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] security cameras
>
> I heard about some inexpensive security cameras which get their power
> through the same cat5 cable which delivers the data/pictures (which
> would simplify wiring tremendously).  Does anyone know about these?  Do
> they work with Linux, particularly CentOS?

AFAIK there are different options you can take with this.

Webcam USB camera or a PAL/NTS CCTV camera with a phono or
BNC connector.

Use a PCI based video capture card to connect CCTV cameras
to. Not sure about the software to use though.

Use a stand alone DVR - digital Video recorder to capture
and record sound/video, as well as simultaneous monitor and
IP broadcast over the net. Some of these boxes run Linux and
an integral web server. You can also manage and control
the DVR across the net.

You might find these links helpfull:

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Video_Recorders

I think you will get far better video quality using CCTV
cameras than a webcam on a USB port.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: