[CentOS] current bind version

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 02:24:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Machin, Greg
<Greg.Machin at openpolytechnic.ac.nz> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have had an enquiry from the Network and Security guy. He wants to know
> why CentOS 5.5 /RHEL 5 is using a very old version of bind
> “bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3” when the latest release that has many
> security fixes is on 9.7.3 . I understand that its to maintain a known
> stable platform by in introducing new elements etc .. Is there an official
> explanation / document that  I can direct him to.

The "bind97" packages is in RHEL 5.6.  RedHat pubishes such major
component upgrades as separate packages, so people using the older
version get updates, but who want the major upgrades are free to
install them and get separate support.

Our faithful CentOS maintainers have not yet completed their
publication of CentOS 5.6. I'm sure they'd appreciate your help doing
so, although I've had some difficulty reverse engineering enough of
their build structure to parallel their work.