[CentOS] current bind version

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 02:51:10 UTC 2011

On Feb 23, 2011, at 9:08 PM, "Machin, Greg" <Greg.Machin at openpolytechnic.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have had an enquiry from the Network and Security guy. He wants to know why CentOS 5.5 /RHEL 5 is using a very old version of bind “bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3” when the latest release that has many security fixes is on 9.7.3 . I understand that its to maintain a known stable platform by in introducing new elements etc .. Is there an official explanation / document that  I can direct him to.

Please check out:

https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/?sc_cid=3093

RHEL maintains application binary interfaces during the lifetime of their releases. Only for applications that can no longer be feasibly maintained through backporting (ie firefox) do they update the version mid release.

A lot of people don't understand the backporting way of maintaining a stable platform across a release, it took me a while to appreciate it.

-Ross