[CentOS] security cameras

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Thu Feb 24 15:59:06 UTC 2011

On 02/23/2011 02:00 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 2/23/2011 12:36 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 02/23/11 10:16 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
> Trendnet has some.  You'd need to get the java plugin working to view
> them in a linux browser - not sure about full-time recording software.
> If you don't have enough to justify a POE switch, you can get individual
> power bricks that plug into the line to add power at a convenient place.

Les, thanks for the pointer to Trendnet.  They've got a *large* selection.

I'm finding that there's a variety of video formats output by these
various devices... which is a consideration for us non-Windows folks.  I
haven't come down to a decision on which yet.  Of course it's going to
depend upon which are supported by Linux.  For some reason, on my system
flashplayer is unreliable... sometimes it works, sometimes not.  MPEG4
though works fine in Firefox.  Due to past experience (many bad ones),
I'm leery of Java-based software, so I'd be shy about using that
plug-in.  Hopefully there'd be other alternatives... anyone know about some?

Les, you bring up a good question about full-time recording.  I don't
know at all how that might work on Linux.  Someone earlier mentioned
ftp'ing the video files.  If that's all it takes, then great.  Some of
the IP cameras have an ftp client, but I haven't seen one yet with an
ftp *server* on it, so how it's possible to fetch and save the video
files is still a mystery to me.  Anyone with experience doing this with
Linux?

Thanks to everyone for the comments and tips, the previous and future ones.

Best,
ken