[CentOS] OT: Ecommerce hosting

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Thu Feb 24 19:19:54 UTC 2011

On 02/24/2011 01:03 PM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> ken wrote:
>> On 02/23/2011 09:18 PM Thomas Dukes wrote:
>>> Would appreciate some suggestions for ecommerce hosting.  Been using,
>>> cough, cough, godaddy, for about 5 or 6 yrs but in the last year or so,
> they
>>> really suck. Did the hosting myself for a while prior to going with
> godaddy but
>>> I don't have time to babysit. Seems godaddy would rather spend millions
>>> advertising during the Super Bowl than put that money to good use.
> <snip>
>>  Adjust your expectations accordingly.  For instance, I'd stay away from
>> Blue Host.  They're inexpensive and have just one hosting package.  And
>> they don't make adjustments to it to fit your needs.  They're fine for
>> someone who just wants to have "their own" website.  And they have lots
>> of ports open, including for https.  But they have a lot of ports open
>> :) and it's part of the hosting package.
>>
> "One hosting package"? Dunno, I'm paying for Hostmonster/Bluehost (same
> thing), and a) have had very little trouble, and b) get reasonably
> knowledgable people. They do offer a choice of o/s, too. Admittedly, I
> have a very low-traffic website, and I don't have any of the commercial
> packages that don't come with the basic, but *shrug* they're ok.
>
>          mark

I just talked with them on the phone a couple weeks ago and that's what
I was told... just one hosting package.  The guy I was talking with did
seem like a ditz, so maybe he was giving me bad info.  We are talking
about <http://www.bluehost.com/>?  I'm looking at that page right now
and I see just one package offered.