[CentOS] VMware (was Re: current bind version)

Ben abnormaliti at clivepeeters.com.au
Fri Feb 25 05:18:22 UTC 2011

On 25/02/2011 1:13 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 08:04:08PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Can someone remind me why VMware server 2.x broke with a RHEL/CentOS 5.x glibc
>> update?  I switched back to 1.x which I like better anyway, but if the reason
>> for putting up with oldness is to keep that from happening, it didn't work.
> You may want to try VMware-player if you, (like almost everyone else)
> preferred 1.x to 2.x.   The later versions of player are more like 1.x,
> allowing you to install an operating system from ISO or whatever, and
> work quite well with 64 bit CentOS.

I have begun to switch all my hosts without hardware virtualization, so
can't use ESXi, to VirtualBox.

With the addition of an init.d script it works well as a headless
virtual host.  The VirtualBox commandline support is far superior to
VMware Server.  With the help of puppet I have automated the entire host
install, configuration, guest vm creation and guest install and
configuration.

VirtualBox was far easier to wrap puppet around than VMware Server was too.

Ben