[CentOS] VMware (was Re: current bind version)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 16:04:23 UTC 2011

On 2/25/2011 8:36 AM, Ross Walker wrote:

> Also, VMware could have made their module load across kernel updates without recompile if they had set their kernel module up to support KABI (kernel ABI) tracking, but they didn't.

That was the other strange thing.  RHEL5 was never a 'supported'
platform, so a stable module wasn't included.  I sometimes see
conspiracies where they might not exist, but the whole thing felt like
running a Lotus product under a Microsoft OS back in the day when ever
update would "accidentally" break the competitors product (all the way
through SP6 to NT).  And even before the absolute breakage, it was very
difficult to stabilize the guest clock.

The net effect here was that our internal developers who lean towards
Windows anyway but will tolerate Linux if it works just gave up.  The
Windows-hosted version of Server 2.x didn't have those problems.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com