[CentOS] IP6 Anyone?

Always Learning

centos at g7.u22.net
Sat Feb 26 20:12:06 UTC 2011

Today I received an allocation of IP6 addresses for some servers. I can
'play' with the last 2 of the 8 IP6 address segments.

I always thought, mistakenly, IP6 was 6 segments, because it was IP6.
IP4 had 4 segments. However IP6 is actually IP version 6 and it has 8
segments. The other interesting discovers are:

:: means one or more 0 segments, example :: can mean 0:0:0: or just 0:0:
or even 0:0:0:0:

and, a real smile making favourite, is IP6 breaks Micro$oft's set-up.
Micro$oft can not handle actual IP6 addresses because : is forbidden by
Micro$oft in its 'Uniform Naming Convention (UNC) path names'. Naturally
Micro%oft has invented a 'work around' solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_address#Literal_IPv6_addresses_in_UNC_path_names

Because : is sometimes used in an address to indicate the start of a
port number, example http://www.anyonejunk.com:1234, the IP6 address can
be enclosed within [ ] with the port number remaining outside the square
brackets.

How will IP6 affect the software in Centos and what gradual changes
should one make on the transition to a major Internet change with the
ending of NAT for IP4 addresses and a more secure (IPsec) end to end
transmission protocol?

--

With best regards,

Paul.