[CentOS] opened OpenSSL port

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Feb 27 10:11:48 UTC 2011

On 02/27/11 1:50 AM, erikmccaskey64 wrote:

> Main question: is it safe, to open a port for an openssl server?
>
> e.g.:
>
> server side - generate a self-signed cert.
> time openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:8192 -keyout
> mycert.pem -out mycert.pem
> openssl s_server -accept 52310 -cert mycert.pem
>
> Is it secure? - it could be DOSed' [DenialofService] or could it be
> attacked in any way?
>
> Are there any iptables rule for restricting connections to dyndns names?
>
> e.g.: only allow connection from "asdfasdf.dyndns.com" and
> "asdfasdf2.dyndns.com" and "asdfasdf3.dyndns.com"?

any host names used in iptables rules are looked up at the time the rule
is created, and if the hostname->IP later changed, the iptables would
not be aware of this until the next time they are reloaded.

> How could i restrict the openssl server to only accept traffic from
> given clients? Please help me "think"..
>
> Or are there any "production ready" methods, that can do
> authentication too? [+using ssl].
> "openssl s_server" and "openssl s_client" would be perfect, but the
> problem is it doesn't has username/password auth :\

aren't those openssl s_server and s_client intended just for testing
protocols?   If you want to secure an application, you implement ssl in
your application via libssl, or you use a vpn tunnel such as openvpn
(which uses SSL itself)

anyways, the whole idea of SSL is to use certificate based
authentication rather than username/password.