[CentOS] IP6 Anyone?

Always Learning centos at g7.u22.net
Sun Feb 27 13:44:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 00:38 -0600, Larry Vaden wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Always Learning <centos at g7.u22.net> wrote:
> >
> > Today I received an allocation of IP6 addresses for some servers. I can
> > 'play' with the last 2 of the 8 IP6 address segments.
>
> I guess Will Rogers was correct after all :)
>
> You can label yourself as "special" since others get assignments of
> IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
>
> <https://www.arin.net/policy/archive/ipv6_policy.html#25> says, in part:
>
> 2.5. Allocate
>
> To allocate means to distribute address space to IRs for the purpose
> of subsequent distribution by them.
>
> 2.6. Assign
>
> To assign means to delegate address space to an ISP or end-user, for
> specific use within the Internet infrastructure they operate.
> Assignments must only be made for specific purposes documented by
> specific organizations and are not to be sub-assigned to other
> parties.

I was actually wrong. I can 'play' with not 2 but 4 groups of the IP6
allocation. Golly, what can I do with 64 x 64 x 64 x 64 address
combinations?  Hire then out?  Have a different IP6 address for every
hour of the year? Put the IP4 address in the last 4 groups?
(2001::10.2.2.191)

That vast surplus of IP6 addresses is just for one server - I have
several.

--

With best regards,

Paul.