[CentOS] Blasphemous? any support for a REPO of current edition BIND, et al (e.g., BZ561299)?

Thu Feb 3 17:36:43 UTC 2011
Larry Vaden <vaden at texoma.net>

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I appreciate the long roadmap and release schedule.
>
> At my work we need to do two to three year forecasts. Budgets may
> allow infrastructure updates every three or four years.

As a rural ISP investing budget dollars in wireless infrastructure to
serve our formerly dialup customers, we run it until it breaks.  Nukes
and repaves have never been necessary.

Our credit card processing system may soon be 10 years old:

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jun 21  2001 initrd

The compatibility of the systems over a decade+ has been truly amazing.

Speaking budget, I noted the other day in a discussion with a mentor
at Internet2.edu that you can now spend $8600 on RH, and, he does,
regularly.

That's the rough equivalent of 100 wireless CPEs for 100 new
customers, which generate about $3000/month of top line revenue.

I'm impressed that, e.g., /etc/sysconfig/iptables has been in the same
place for over a decade, even absent an industry-wide agreed upon file
layout for Linux (which would have been a big plus IMHO);  in fact,
our backup NMC runs Ubuntu 10.10 just so my 64 year old neurons are
challenged weekly with "where did they put that?"

IMHO, a nice addition to www.centos.org would be an "About Us" page
(Google 'site:www.centos.org "about us"' comes up more or less empty
of said).

Long live CentOS, Karanbir, Tru, et al!!!  More modest souls would be
far too difficult to find.

kind regards/ldv

Larry Vaden, CoFounder
Internet Texoma, Inc.