[CentOS] Was, Re: CentOS 6.0 alpha testers, is features (actually syslogd)

Sat Feb 5 11:10:24 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 02/02/2011 04:20 PM, Matt wrote:
>>> I am excited about CentOS 6.x though.  Aren't there supposed to be
>>> some neat new features etc for virtualization and cloud computing?
>>
>> this could be the start of a dangerously long thread nonrelated to OP.
>> Why not start a new thread with 'CentOS-6 interesting upcoming features'
>> :)
>
> Ok, here's one: I'm having a problem with syslogd - due to the upper
> heirarchy, we've started logging our (*yuck*) Windows servers to our
> centralized logging server, and so far, the other admin hasn't managed to
> make WinBlows less than maximum verbosity. I know I can do filtering with
> syslog-ng and rsyslog, but 5.5 has syslogd. Now, I *thought* I heard one
> or the other of those other two was coming in, but thought it would be in
> CentOS 5.x; can anyone tell me a) if the change is coming, b) which of the
> two it'll be, and c) will it be in 5.6 or 6?
>
>         mark

Only rsyslog is in RHEL 6, and neither syslog nor syslog-ng are in
EPEL. rpm.pbone.net is not caught up to publishing RHEL/CentOS 6 yet,
unfortunately, so I don't have a trivial way to tell you who's
published syslog-ng ports that will work well for CentOS 6. It looks
like karan.org published syslog-ng for RHEL/CentOS 5, though.

The switchover is not too painful, configuration files between syslog
and rsyslog are pretty close.