[CentOS] system clock

Sun Feb 6 21:49:04 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Buz Davis wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Buz Davis <buzdavis at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [CentOS] system clock
>
> I am running CntOS 5 with Gnome.  Every  now and then I have noticed
> that the computer will somehow get the time wrong by several hours.  Is
> there a simple way to adjust the time?  So far the only way I have found
> is to boot into windows (it is a dual boot system), make the change
> there, and then get back into CentOS.  Older versions of Red Hat and
> Fedora let you do it by right-clicking on the time display, if I recall
> correctly, but setting the time isn't one of the options in CentOS.

If you are connecting to the internet, you can use a program
called ntpd:

Name       : ntp
Arch       : i386
Version    : 4.2.2p1
Release    : 9.el5.centos.2.1
Size       : 2.4 M
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Synchronizes system time using the Network Time
Protocol (NTP).
URL        : http://www.ntp.org
License    : distributable
synchronize a
            : computer's time with another reference time
source. The ntp
            : package contains utilities and daemons that
will synchronize
            : your computer's time to Coordinated Universal
Time (UTC) via
            : the NTP protocol and NTP servers. The ntp
package includes
            : ntpdate (a program for retrieving the date and
time from remote
            : machines via a network) and ntpd (a daemon
which continuously
            : adjusts system time).
            :
            : Install the ntp package if you need tools for
keeping your
            : system's time synchronized via the NTP
protocol.

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites: