[CentOS] OpenSSH could be faster...then why don't they path it??

Mon Feb 7 06:07:47 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:20 AM, kellyremo <kellyremo at zoho.com> wrote:

> My question is: So Why Does the original OpenSSH has "limited statically
> defined internal flow control buffers"?? It could be way faster, even 10x!!

> Any opinions?
>
> Thank you!

I think this thread would be very welcome on the comp.securty.ssh
newsgroup, also available as a Google group. It's been dull over
there, and as an old-time poster there, I think it would be a welcome
discussion.

More generally and for CentOS, this software has an *old* core, and
its stability is critical. There are a lot of recent computational
capabilities that weren't envisioned when it was written, and "Keep It
Simple, Stupid" remains critical to this and other system utilities
that have to run as trusted, critical services without updating every
few weeks as the last round of changes introduces new or rediscovers
old bugs. Like bind and sendmail and ftp, it doesn't need new features
that often, and the software *must be* compatible with older clients
and servers. If you want leading edge features, hop over to Fedora to
test and refine it, then encourage its backport to RHEL and CentOS.