[CentOS] How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

Mon Feb 7 17:56:36 UTC 2011
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

James Pearson wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> James Pearson wrote:
>>

>>> I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
>>> boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under /etc/rc.d/
>>>
>>> CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
>>> equivalent in CentOS 5
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?
>>>
>> Have you tried system-config-soundcard?
>>

> I have, but that wasn't the question :-)
>
> Something has to load the sound kernel modules at system start up - and
> I would like to find out what does this and at what stage of the system
> start up process this happens.

cannot answer all your question but found that sometime around 5.3 ->
5.4 that the order of sound modules loading changed.
I found that one needed to edit modprobe.conf and add index=0 or index=1
as needed to get the modules loading correctly and thus allowing related
software to find them in the correct place.
HTH