[CentOS] rsync permission denied , without changing apache user and group setting

Wed Feb 9 12:08:42 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 02/09/2011 05:53 AM, Agnello George wrote:

> Hi
>
> i got two server webserver1 and webserver2  i want to rsync some data
> form webserver1 to webserver2  using a user called syncuser
>
> ( syncuser is added to the group apache : adduser -G apache syncuser )
>
> here is my command :
>
> [root at web1 projects]# rsync -avzh /var/www/projects/beta-website1
> syncuser at web2server:/var/www/projects
> syncuser at web2server password:
> building file list ... done
> beta-website1
> rsync: failed to set times on "/var/www/projects/beta-website1":
> Operation not permitted (1)
> beta-website1/index.html
> rsync: mkstemp "/var/www/projects/beta-website1/.index.html.ZW9de8"
> failed: Permission denied (13)
> rsync: failed to set times on "/var/www/projects/beta-website1":
> Operation not permitted (1)
>
> sent 219 bytes  received 54 bytes  60.67 bytes/sec
> total size is 57  speedup is 0.21
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
> main.c(892) [sender=2.6.8]
>

> on webserver2 my permission are as follows ( i dont not want to change
> the permissions, i want user and group to be apache   )
>
> [root at web6 projects]# ll
> total 20
> drwxr-xr-x  2 apache apache  4096 Feb  7 15:54 beta-website1

The first issue is that the Group has only r-x permissions ... which
means the group has no write permissions.  If you give the group write
permissions (775 not 755) that might solve the problem.