[CentOS] Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

Fri Feb 11 21:57:44 UTC 2011
Larry Vaden <vaden at texoma.net>

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

> It's still the case that a graphics driver error on linux can take out the
> entire system, so it's not like linux is some sort of gold standard on this
> front.

e.g., any modern Ubuntu can write 300 GB per day of syslog if equipped
with at least certain Nvidia video cards (I'm unaware of which ones
might work).

That makes the system unusable, essentially a self-invoked denial of service.

Apparently there is a little internal disagreement in the
Debian/Ubuntu camp about Nouveau.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia#Recommended

which says, in part:

<quote>
Recommended step for Ubuntu 10.04 or higher
Nouveau, an open source driver, is installed by default. You can
remove it by command-line by entering this:

sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
</quote>